7/31/07

I Didn't Get Beat Up By A Girl!

That's right. The most worrisome part of my 2nd degree test was having to spar a woman.


Did I mention it was a very attractive woman?


Who was quite fast?


Well, point is, I didn't get my butt kicked. I did pretty darn well by all accounts. No, I didn't hurt her - if that's what you're worried about - I'm sure she could have hurt me just as much as I her. I did manage to get a couple would-be knockouts to her head (no contact). She gave as well as she got, though.


The 2nd degree test went very well. I was pretty well winded by the time we got to self-defense. We're talking stomach cramps, doubled over but still fighting kind of pain! I did a couple takedowns that were fairly impressive & a few that somehow got the job done.


Breaking, not really my strong suit but still something I do well, came off better than expected. I put my hand through two bricks like they were barely there! The first one split down the middle like I took a saw to it & the bottom one broke into three large pieces. All well by my account.

Here's the video:




Ah, then came the candle - yes, this little monster of a test. I had to punch out the flame of a candle with a punch. Really, it's not as hard as you might think - you just punch, twist & put your hips into it. Sucker was out & smoldering like Lindsay Lohan on a coke bender.


Lastly came the Q & A - no, Harvey, this isn't as entertaining as the other "& A" you might have wanted to hear about. The questions were pointed, serious & difficult. Mr. Scott pulled no punches, as it were, & asked me if I felt I could take over for my instructor (No, of course!) & how well I felt I could pass on my knowledge to others (Technique - yes, Philosophy, not entirely). It was a heck of a grilling.


As you may have guessed, I survived. Yes, I was promoted to 2nd Degree in TKD! It's an accomplishment that can only be properly celebrated with beer...which I already did...& sleep, which I'm about to do. :-)


I'm going to be sooooo sore in the morning.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Now you know that if you're ever attacked by 2 bricks you'll be okay.

Hapkido said...

Matt,
That's important! Heck, you just never know when bricks are going to come flying out of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of surly-looking bricks in my neighborhood. Can I hire you as a bodyguard? :-)

tkd said...

Congrats! I knew those bricks would not survive your attack.

Hapkido said...

Harvey,
You've got it! As you can tell, I'm not tolerant of mortar in any form!

Hapkido said...

tkd,
Shouldn't that be bjj?

Yeah, the break looked easier than it was - but not by much!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Cool video, too. And if you ever feel the need to smash some bricks, you can come smack my teens' heads...they're full of rocks anyway, so it would be about the same as bricks.

Hapkido said...

Mrs. Who,
I'm not sure that's a good idea. Oh, I'll bet the teens would be just fine - you see, I was a teen once & I remember my head was soooo thick, nothing could get through!

Anonymous said...

Maybe so, but could you at least TRY, lol?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Nice Brick Breaking!

Hapkido said...

Mrs. Who,
I could give it a shot, but I make no guarantees. The best thing you can do to soften them up is put them to yard work - moving firewood, mowing the lawn, etc.

That might give me a fighting chance! ;-)

Hapkido said...

oddybobo,
Thanks! It's not as bad as it seems & you feel prety good after you've done it.

Anonymous said...

Most excellent!! And really impressive brick breaking. :^)

My youngest just got her purple belt and I am amazed at what she can do...

Hope you're not *too* sore!

Hapkido said...

Richmond,
Thanks! My instructor has done 4 before but I'll leave that to the pros. ;-)

It is amazing what a person can do with a little training. Have your daughter keep it up! There's some great things that await her in the higher ranks. My advice to her: Black belt is the start of the real fun!

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP