10/19/06

2nd Degree Test

Well, it's hard to believe I've been a 1st degree black belt (TKD) for a year now. My instructor came up to me in class & said it's time to start preparing - meaning test will be in about 6 months or so. For those of you "outside the loop", allow me to put you inside the noose of test time...

  1. I'm going to have to do all my forms. This means a minimum of 13 patterns.
  2. One of those forms will be demonstrated with "attackers".
  3. No, they won't actually be trying to kill me...thanks for asking!
  4. I have 25 one-step sparring techniques. All defense against punches.
  5. Basic movements - which are deceptively advanced when you're told what to do.
  6. Terminology/Oral Essay. Incredibly tough since it covers about 4 years of information.
  7. Finally - The "Circle of Death". This is where you're surrounded by four black belts who really do try to take you down & make you submit. You're continuously attacked from all sides,
  8. Yes, they probably will be trying to kill me. ;-)

I took some time yesterday & narrowed the demonstration form down to 5 possibilities - Choong Gun, Hwa Rang, Choong Moo, Koryo & Kwang Gae.


All of these are good possibilities for different reasons. I'm leaning most towards Hwa Rang, Koryo & Kwang Gae because these forms present a challenge & would flow very well when demonstrated with opponents. Hwa Rang involves power, Koryo requires technique & flow, Kwang Gae requires all three.


Self-Defense, or the "Circle of Death" is my strongest point. I just have to save my strength for this as sparring & forms can take quite a bit out of you. Since I'm also in HKD, as are most of the black belts who will attack me, I'm able to call on all those techniques.


I'll update things as we get closer to test time. I'm planning on a real bruiser this time because I'll be testing for recommended black in HKD about the same time.

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP