2/18/07

Recommended Black Belt

So far I'm liking the new techniques. There's only 15 of them but in place of quantity the specifics are brought into even greater focus.


Except for the two "hostile handshake" techniques, the grabs are all what I'd consider unconventional. Bear hugs - to be specific - from front & back, over & under arm.


They really do seem simple at first. That's where you'd be wrong, though. I don't think these techniques would work for a middle-level belt. The subtleties lie in how high/low the grab is & what the attacker is trying to accomplish - something not too often considered for lower-belt levels.


The last set is advanced defense against kicks. Yeah, doing them is fun but falling for them is another story. There's one off a front kick where you're literally trying to flip the attacker in mid-air. It's not subtle like the other three but it will get the job done.


Since I'm pretty much 100% healthy now (nevermind my right knee), I should be able to go full bore starting next week until I take vacation at the start of March.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am going to try this. If I get a response from you I'll know I finally did it right.

Saturday morning I noticed that my right leg from the hip on down to the ankle, on the outside, was on the uncomfortable side (I hate that going to bed healthy and waking up injured). After rethinking the possible ways in which I could have hurt it, I came with the possibility of the leg thow off the front kick. You know the one where you just catch it with a scoop on the outside and then just toss in the air? I am going to have to learn how to fall for that one a bit better. I am fine now.

BR

Hapkido said...

Hope you're doing better after that. Nothing worse than coming up with that soreness after you think you're OK.

I'm honestly not too sure how to fall for that, either. Air back fall is about all I've got.

I was told by KG that if you wait 'til someone "hops" & then lift, it's an easier fall for them.

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP