11/2/06

Seminar

It was an incredible seminar! I spent the 1st half of day one with GM Pellegrini & the remainder of the two day event with GM Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. I'm always impressed with GM P & this time was no exception. The experience with GM Wallace was something new to me. I didn't know if his part was going to be more of the same kicking drills or something new. Let's just sum it up this way...


I learned the most with GM Wallace. He worked us through sparring & boxing drills after extended periods of warm-ups & stretches. If nothing else, the stretching exercises were worth the cost of the seminar. Everything is based off simple fundamentals. The man has a Masters in Human Kinesology, so it's hard to question his knowledge of human mechanics. I just can't figure out that diet plan for the life of me.


There are 3 T's involved in stretching. They are...WAIT!!! If you want 'em, try one of his seminars & learn that way! :-) Seriously, I'm no pro at this stuff & I don't want to give anyone bad info. I will say that I've never been able to open stretch as far or as efficiently as I have since this seminar. If you want more info on GM Wallace, you can check out his site. It includes info on DVDs for stretching, kicking & books on the same. Hey, it's a shameless plug, but worth the look!


GM Wallace is 61 years-old & a helluva lot faster than I'll ever be. Most of us are 1/2 his age or less & he just blew us away with a combination of speed & technique. His efficiency of movement & complete mastery of his preferred moves is jaw-dropping. Maybe it's experience, but I'd like to think it's a combination of that with practical knowledge of how the human body works & adapts. More impressive than any kick was his ability to explain the motion of your body in an enthralling way. At no point could you lose interest in his topics.


The most impressive aspect of the man is how cordial he was. There's definitely a dash of humility there, but I think the best part of him is how he relates to the "average" person - he talks to you exactly as an equal - not like he's a record-holding GM in kickboxing. You could ask a question & the reply would be direct, witty & have just a touch of humor. You also can't help being impressed with someone who just loves every part of what he does. OK, back to the seminar.


We worked on front leg roundhouse kick (closed stance), front leg side kick (open stance) & backfist. I'm no slouch at any of these, though after this time well spent in Omaha, I know where I can find better ways to perform. Backfist was probably the easiest of the three since we were instructed to do it just the way I practice - that is, snapping it out to the target & right back in. Sure, I'm no "Superfoot" but I'm not 1/2 bad, either.


Roundhouse kick is where I was most surprised. I really thought I was decent with it & I suppose I am "decent" but not that fast. A lot of work to be done there. Keeping your center of gravity in the same place (not stepping forward), snapping the kick up in the shortest distance possible, not telegraphing the thing like you're delivering for Western Union, etc...


As for accommodations our friend, Trent, whose from our HKD group & recently relocated to North Dakota, invited us to stay at his house. Really nice place. If you're in the market for a house under $180,000 in the Omaha area, let me know. I'll be happy to send him an e-mail. ;-) It's a great place & has 3 bedrooms with a finished basement & a hot tub. Great neighborhood, too. All in all, the sleeping arrangements were great...with the exception of "Darth" Kitson that 1st night. ha ha


We had breakfast the 1st morning at a little "Ma & Pa" diner. Excellent food & the service was great. Overall, I think the food was spectacular in Omaha. This restaurant we went to (Can't recall the name) had a truly succulent prime rib. I never cared for it before that experience. You could eat a steak at this place every day & not get tired of it...fat, but definitely not tired.


After wrapping up the 2nd day (GM Wallace had to leave at 3pm instead of the planned 4pm) we packed up our stuff (man, my car holds a LOT of crap!) & headed out, "deciding" - OK, guided by man instinct - to stop at the new Bass Pro Shops in Council Bluffs. MAN! That place is h-u-g-e! Really loved it through the whole place. They designed it to make outdoors-type folks comfortable, I guess. It just makes you want to grab a tent & hang out for the night.


Unfortunately, the camping trip was precluded by the others needing to be home for work Monday. We reeled it in & made a quick stop in Des Moines for food, fuel & a stretch before getting to "the beach" as Bill Reif would say. Got the guys to Master Rion's about 1130pm & we all made it home safe.


All in all, an excellent "mancation" that needs to be repeated.

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP