11/9/06

TKD: Ge-Baek

Ge-Baek is my 3rd & final form before I can test for 2nd degree. I finally put this one together yesterday & it's definitely complicated compared to the rest of my forms. I think that's what makes me enjoy it so much. I think (except with Choong-Gun) I've always liked the highest form I've ever learned in a belt level.


This one is sort of the "opposite" of the previous 1st degree form, Po-Eun. Po-Eun runs from East to West & Ge-Baek runs North to South. Also, they oppose each other in that Po-Eun is pretty simple (being that the 1st & 2nd halves are mirrors) while Ge-Baek is very complicated & not symmetrical in any way. I'm sure the fact it's such a challenge is why I worked so hard at learning it.


Ge-Baek needs some work for me to make it flow perfectly, but I'm pretty happy that it's come together so well in a relatively short time. I have about 5 months (maybe 6) to test for 2nd, so there's not as much time as I'd necessarily like. Forms have always been my strong point, so they'll do well enough. I'm more concerned about endurance, flexibility (working on that) & sparring.


Let's face it, sparring is & probably always will be my weak point. I enjoy it, I really do. I just don't see the value in it other than a game. Reaction time aside, it's done little to make me better as a martial artist. I think the forms & philosophy of TKD have done more to teach me patience & instill confidence than any amount of sparring ever will. I'd rather spar than not but it doesn't come across to me as something very vital.


Self-defense is another strong point for me in testing. Up to & including the "circle of death", as we jokingly call it. Hosinsul (self-defense, in Korean) is the place where I find the most creative energy & refine my control. The added benefit is becoming tolerant to common confrontations (like someone trying to intimidate) & more serious things like chokes.


Back the subject, I'd say Ge-Baek is the most fun I've had with a pattern since Koryo - another form that presented it's own challenges. Something about learning something entirely new motivates me more than anything else. It gives me the ability to feel completely alive in those times when I'm going through the "same old, same old".


This one's 44 movements of pure enjoyment for me (Martial arts, folks. Get your minds out of the gutter!). I can't wait to get this one up to par like most of my other ones & see how well-refined I can make it!

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP