11/16/06

TKD/HKD

I'm not sure what happened to me this week. Monday was good & I was at class as planned. For some reason, I just didn't have it in me to make it to either class on Tuesday/Wednesday. I suppose the fact I've cut calories - to about 1500/day - to drop some weight (I'm trying to make Iowa Games next year as a middleweight in TKD) may have something to do with that. I'll just have to pop some B-vitamins & keep the energy going.


Also, I need to get cracking on the cardio & some very minor weights (low weight, high repetition) to get my stamina/strength where it needs to be. The flexibility is coming along. So long as I manage to keep it going, I'll be in prime condition with that by next spring. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, join a gym with cardio equipment & get on it.


To fight comfortably at middleweight, I figure 165 lbs is where I need to be. Presently, I'm right around 175. Now, 10 lbs may not seem like much, but it does mean probably losing 20 lbs of fatty stuff & adding 10 lbs of rock-solid, studly muscle. The trick, really, is to add strength instead of mass. According to GM Wallace, the best way to do that is low weight/high repetition. Looks like it's push-ups, crunches, etc for me! YAY!


After all that, there's still the issue of footwork. Fortunately (or maybe not...), I have the same limitation as GM Wallace - my right leg isn't exactly 100%. For reasons unknown, that knee can act up at the darndest times. The style he utilizes involves keeping his left leg (strong side) forward for speed to set up combinations. While he's demonstrated this style works for him (23-0, title defenses), I am not imbued with similar properties of dexterity & agility.


As you aren't allowed to backfist to the head in WTF (World Taekwondo Federation, dirty-minded readers!) sparring like is permitted in Kickboxing, there's a major concern on the power front. A front-leg kick simply won't deliver the power of a rear-leg kick. That's physics 101 stuff - the hip doesn't rotate when you kick from the lead foot. That effectively eliminates all your body mass from the energy equation. In exchange for speed, you sacrifice a great deal of power (ah, Eum & Yang rear their conflicting, ugly heads!).


Yeah, there's a bit on my mind about this whole affair. At this point, the focus must be on dropping the body fat. I can work on the rest from there.

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP