11/13/06

Getting Antsy About This Test

I've got everything together for my upcoming test. Really, the things I have to shore up are forms (all 14 of them), one-step sparring (25) & self-defense. Being as strong with forms as I am, I can't imagine there will be trouble there. Ditto with self-defense. One steps will take care of themselves.


The nagging question on my mind is: What's my essay topic? The subject for 1st degree was What Black Belt Means to Me. I think I did a fairly good job. That paper helped me realize more of what my goals were than I had ever truly considered before. I'd say the writing (grammar, spelling, etc) was excellent & I offered not only a well-thought, also an original view on black belt.


Now, that's not to say the "average" black belt - average being a poor word because I don't think an average (read: mediocre) person can earn, really earn, a black belt - thinks it's about being a butt-kicking, one-person, wrecking crew. It's just that my opinion of black belt (cultivated over time & help from excellent friends) is that you've learned the basics & can now get to the process of really learning the art. More importantly, you have a responsibility that eclipses your authority & influence.


Unfortunately, I do think some people can get caught up with the Hollywood image of a black belt & think that strip of cloth grants them some mystical power. Hey, it's a big accomplishment. I'll concede that to anyone. *However*, it is also just a belt. The real meaning to black belt, for me, is earning it every single day you wear it. That has been the biggest challenge to me since making 1st degree. Some days I feel I've failed. Most I think I succeed. As long as I keep that in mind, I don't think I'll ever lose the right to wear one of the Dans.


So, as most of you can tell, I'm a little eager to keep the process rolling on test. I know it's 5 or 6 months away. That may seem like a lot of time, but that's all I have to write a full essay, choreograph a pattern with attackers, make sure my forms are up to par, prepare for sparring (dropping a little weight & improving endurance), get ready for breaking (2 bricks this time) & make sure my terminology is all set.

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP