1/4/07

Somewhere In Solitude

My Imoto, Sarah, just gave me a copy of her new (& first) CD! It's titled "Somewhere In Solitude" & being the dutiful big brother (Ani - in Japanese), I of course need to offer my opinions of this first official work.


I'm listening to the CD right now. There are six songs (all written/performed by Sarah) on piano. Yes, I'm a bit on the biased-side, but just pretend I'm part of the mainstream media & it won't be so tough to follow along. ;-)

1) Hitori (Alone): This song captures exactly the feeling of solitude. It actually makes me feel a bit isolated, which I'm guessing is the spirit of this piece. It has a very solemn tempo with an almost playful undertone in the harmony. I'd consider this, above all, a song for quiet reflection.


2) Kaleidoscope: Almost a continuation (at the start) of Hitori, this song plays with greater depth & is reminiscent of a Sartre meditation - though, instead of descending further, this piece brings the listener a more lively, powerful essence than the previous track.


3) Sakura Matsuri: There's a slightly cheerful undertone to this one. The feeling given is similar to a successful resolution to an obstacle. The noticeable pause close to the finish invokes a brief anticipation where the melody continues on its same path.


4) Envy: "A sorrowful longing" is the best way I can describe this. Envy definitely does capture the mood. Tempo & melody combine to offer a feeling of want without hope of resolution. There's still a glimmer of idealism &, as a result, hope that underlies the emotions stirred.


5) Kouryuu: A slower & more grandiose piece of music, Kouryuu is possessed of a gentle gravity. For the most part there is a noticeable flow. This is highlighted to excellent effect by the occasional pause. Something about this track makes it feel like it slips away from you all too soon. I'm at a loss to describe this, however.


6) Owari: Actually invokes an image of a sad farewell. It's the kind of song played in a classic movie where the impending & unwanted separation of a couple - complete with an internal struggle against the inevitable - cannot be held at bay any longer. Seriously, I got all that out of this! Black & white, elegantly dressed woman with an equally handsomely dressed gentleman, tearfully separating themselves with the sincerest regret of having to do so.


OK, so you may be wondering where you can get this CD. Well, I'll have to get with Sarah on that. I received a copy for Christmas & don't know if she has anything set up for everyone to purchase. As I get more information, I'll make sure to post an update.


Seriously, I'm the first to admit I'm going to post a good review on Sarah's musical talents no matter what work she produces but this really is an excellent CD. Consider that she wrote her own songs, is still in high school (AP classes included) & still finds the time to come out for Hapkido & you'll be pleasantly impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you enjoy BUCK-TICK? L'arc~en~ciel? How about the ever-classic Loudness?

:)

Regards,
Brian L.

Hapkido said...

Honestly can't say I've heard of them. No harm in checking it out, though.

I'll let you know what I think. You seem to be pretty cultured there, Brian. :-)

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP