1/30/07

Cut Block Drill

After some gentle prodding (read: get your butt in line!) I went to Arnis last night & we worked on the "Cut Block" exercise. This involves having a training knife & "attacking" your partner. The other person replies with a quick hands-up kind of block and - you guessed it - you cut into the blocking appendage.


We also worked on a similar drill called "Four Ps" (Push, Pull, Pin, Pass) that takes the Cut Block & has you create your own openings. The pass drill particularly caught my attention.


In Hapkido we have a passing drill. The problem is, despite my 2nd Grade ranking, I've never been able to get that sucker to work well. It seems working the same drill in Arnis helped me put this one together.


It's with this "AHA!" moment that I realized the simple truth: Arnis will probably make me better in Hapkido. That's a goal I can work towards!


I have a lot of catching up for 1st level Arnis (which is mostly stick) so I can keep working with the level 2 guys. It's a fun class & if anyone can find an instructor (good luck), you should check Arnis (also CQC, Modern Arnis) out.

0 comments:

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP