1/24/07

Arnis

I just started (again) on this art. I'd also like to say peer pressure was no small part of it (Bill, Kyle, I think you know what I mean). Basically, I was shamed into starting back at it.


Of course, the last part is mostly in jest. I really do enjoy Arnis. It's challenging & certainly one of the most efficient weapons styles I've ever seen.


For those of you not familiar with Arnis, it's a hand, stick & knife combatives art of Filipino origin. The style I'm taking is Modern Arnis & is part of the larger CQC program under W. "Hock" Hochheim.


So last night was my first back in a looong time. We worked on Single Sinnawali, Advanced Single Sinnawali, Reverse Single, Advanced Reverse Single & the 14 positions of attack for double sticks. Productive? You bet. I can even remember the 14 positions! (OK, OK, so you guys were right about me enjoying it!)


Anyway, thanks to Bill & Kyle for getting me to stay last night. I was working on two hours of sleep, dead tired & sore from the HKD test where I was thrown around like a rag doll...yet, it was still worth it. I think that says it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man cool article. I've never heard of Arnis before but it sounds really interesting. I noticed that theres 14 positions of attack for double sticks in Arnis. Is that the same thing as "angles" of attack? Because we have 9 angles of attack in my school regardless of one or two sticks. I'm gonna have to look into Arnis a little more because it sounds cool. Take care!

Mike
Contemporary Fighting Arts
http://www.sammyfranco.com/phpbb

Hapkido said...

Mike,
Yes, positions & angles are one & the same. It's a bit different from single to double stick.
I'm really just a beginner in the whole thing but the challege/reward offered by the class is something different than the other martial arts I enjoy.
I hope you're able to find out more info in your area! It's really fun stuff & if you ever attend a seminar with Hock, you'll have a great time!
Thanks for the comment.
Hapkido

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP