9/15/09

Pretty Cool

Miss Hammy & I are looking at a horse. Now, before any of you read into that, we're looking at a horse for me to buy. Things are going well with us but this is from a trainer/student perspective, not a couple vantage.


I'm looking at a really cute little fella named "Cowboy" (barn name, not full one). He's a yearling Paint who is halter broke & supposed to have a great personality (we'll see about that). While there's certainly no commitment to make a purchase at this time, we are heading down to OK for a visit so we can see him & hopefully have Miss Hammy work him a little on a longe line.


Now, I'm still jobless but have the $$$ to purchase him ($2500) & stable him for a year or so. I'd darn sure better have a job by that time! We're hoping to talk the sellers down to $2000 or less since he hasn't sold for awhile & he probably won't sell over the winter months.


I wouldn't claim to be ready to own a horse. However, in the event I do make this purchase, Miss Hammy is willing to work him for 30 days, turn him out after that (until he's 4) & then give him 60 days to ensure he's saddle broke & trained in basic dressage (1st level, tops), jumping (to 3ft or so) & some western pleasure/trail. He'll end up with a hybrid discipline set, which works since Quarters aren't particularly suited to dressage (though they have the brains to learn it) & I've seen more than a few who love to jump.


Her Paint, "Packer" - who, for you Green Bay fans, was foaled on the same day the Packers won their last Super Bowl in 1998 - L-O-V-E-S to jump! He's actually helped other horses clear the hurdle (pardon the pun) & learn to jump over 3ft where they'd normally stop faster than Rosie O'Donnell passing an all-you-can-eat Ho-Ho buffet.


Anyway, Miss Hammy believes that riding lessons also mean the rider MUST prep & tack the horse as well. She has me brush him down, give fly spray, pick the hooves, add polo wraps & put on the bridle. We alternate on using a saddle. Riding bareback provides me natural stability & I don't have any stirrups with which to "cheat". After that, yes, I'm expected to muck the stall - which is actually good because it's perfect "me time". The good thing about this is I'm picking up habits that won't allow for cutting corners. If I'm going to own a horse down the road, I have to understand what is needed to care for him/her at all steps (tip: feed bags are HEAVY...but not as heavy as a hoof on your foot).


Well, I'll keep y'all updated on how Cowboy does! He's a real handsome fella...

3 comments:

pamibe said...

He's gorgeous! Hope you're able to get him... :)

Mrs. Who said...

My husband has always said that working horses is such good therapy. (Not that you need it, it's just good for you.)

We have toyed with the idea of starting a water-side camp for troubled youth, being sure to have horses as part of the education there. We had property picked out and everything...but it didn't pan out. Unless we can win the lottery.

patti said...

Horses can break your heart - be sure before you leap...
of course I say that due to current heart ache over my own beautiful paint.
Vet bills can be HUGE, and with horses it is not if but when - fair warning.
That said, he is a pretty baby.

Site Meter

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Crunch Time ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP